Thursday, August 13, 2009

Mini vacation part 2-Lambert's

(I apologize now for the really bad quality of the pictures in this post. I forgot to bring in my camera, so these are from my phone)

Once we were all finished with the swim meet, we loaded up and headed out to Springfield. It didn't take as long as I expected, which was good. The kids and I passed the time mostly by sleeping in the van and we were there before we knew it.

We found a really great hotel (we had our own bedroom-nice!) and got checked in and unloaded. We hung out in the room for a while watching Disney Channel (we don't have cable-so that's a treat for us) in one room and grown-up TV in the other room (yes, TWO TV's! We thought we were in heaven-ha!), then got ready for dinner. We were going to Lambert's Home of Throwed Rolls.

We called ahead to see if we could get reservations, but sadly they don't allow that. The wait was TWO HOURS when we left our hotel. Wow! But we went anyway because that had been our plan when we decided on Springfield. By the time we got there, the wait was down to 1 1/2 hours-and it took the whole time. It was kind of neat though to see all those people waiting. I wish I had taken pictures outside. People pretty much expect to wait that long, so they come prepared. The people who were parked in front of use had a travel trailer and passed the time by cleaning it out-sweeping, etc. Our kids drew pictures, drank soda, and climbed all over the van.
Finally, it was our turn! We soon found out that it was worth the wait. The kids we so happy to find out that hot chocolate was a choice for their drink and they each had one (even though it was almost 100 outside). I think the appeal was more the whipped cream than the hot chocolate, but they enjoyed it.
Oh, and did I mention that it was HOT? (I love Dakota's face-she has burned herself before, so she was prepared.) Oh, the think on Chey's head? It was the ribbon off a box of pictures that I had in the van. She decided she would look "cute" with a bow in her hair. She tied it herself. It was vacation, who was I to argue with her choice of accessories. It did, however, "accidentally" find it's way into the garbage the next morning when I was cleaning and packing up to leave the hotel.

And this is Landon with his hot chocolate mustache. It's hard to see in the crummy picture, but he loved it so much I couldn't not post it.
Daniel and I ordered chicken fried steak. It can out in a HUGE skillet! We could have all six shared one order!
Then, came the fun part-the THROWED ROLLS! The roll guy comes out of the kitchen and yells "Hot Rolls!".
(Look closely, he's in the middle in the back)

Then all the people in the restaurant go crazy yelling and waving at him to throw one their way.

He's really good! All the kids got to catch at least one and I lost count of how many Daniel caught for us.
We only lost one or two to the floor, but that's part of the fun.

At the end of the meal, they brought around some sorghum molasses for the rolls. It was so good! We left Lambert's happy, stuffed and carrying our very own can of sorghum molasses! It was a great time!

No comments: