Thursday, December 10, 2009

Chapter 2...


I'm still reading the book "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not" by Wayne Jacobsen. I'd love to have you join me if you'd like.

Chapter 2 is all about the relationship that God wants to have with us. God created us to have an intimate relationship with him. In the beginning, He would walk in the garden with Adam. Adam and Eve were not afraid of God. The relationship was loving and genuine, the way a Father and Child relationship should be.

However, when sin entered the picture, everything changed. Adam and Eve sinned against God, therefore, they could no longer enjoy the closeness of a Holy God. They realized what they had done and tried to hide from God. If you are keeping secrets from someone, how close can your relationship truly ever be?

As our Father, how hurtful this must have been (and must be when we do the same) for God? He desires to be close to us. He wants us to come to Him for everything we need. He longs for us to be honest with him and allow him to comfort us. Yet, so often, we keep our distance. We want God's presence in our church service on Sunday morning and when we say our bedtime prayers at night.

We want him to swoop in and save us when things go wrong. But, because we know that there are parts of our lives where we don't measure up, we don't pursue that relationship with God during our everyday lives.

Think about the relationship that Jesus (who was God in flesh, even though they didn't realize it at the time) had with his disciples. The disciples shared every part of their lives with Jesus, and often fell short. But, Jesus wasn't there waiting to pounce on their shortcomings. He was there waiting to help them overcome their downfalls. He loved them in spite of the things they did (or didn't do). God wants that same kind of relationship with us, not just sitting in a pew or at kneeling by the bed. He wants to be with us every moment of every day.

Here is a quote from the book that I really like : "When Scripture talks about the relationship God wants with us, it borrows from the most tender images of our world. Scripture describes us as young children, beloved by a gracious Father,

the bride of an expectant bridesgroom,


friends dear enough to die for,

and little chicks rushing under the protective wings of a hen."


So, my goal is to make it a point to welcome God to walk with me in all areas of my life. I want to feel his presence with me not only in a church service on a Sunday morning but in my van as I drive my children to school and as I walk through the aisles buying groceries. And even when my 11 year old drops nacho cheese on the newly mopped dining room floor and succeeds only in smearing it all over while trying to wipe it up with a paper towel...yes, I definitely needed him then. :)

No comments: