Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween 2011-part 2: Pumpkins!





Carving pumpkins is both my favorite and least favorite part of Halloween. I love the way they look when they're finished and I LOVE the way they smell when you light the candles. But it makes such a mess! Makes for fun pictures, though.

Cheyenne, Sierra, and Landon went for the biggest pumpkins they could find this year. Apparently they enjoy being up to their elbows in pumpkin guts.
Dakota opted for a teeny tiny little pumpkin instead. It was so small, she could barely get her hand inside it.
I was so excited with the treasure I found for my pumpkin-Mr. Potato Head pieces! Adorable!
This year, we let the kids carve their own pumpkins. I helped Landon and Sierra draw the faces on theirs and then handed them the saw and let them go for it. I ended up helping Landon when his hand got tired, but the girls did theirs all on their own.



Landon was so funny. After we finished his, he came back and started cutting again on the side of the pumpkin. I asked him what he was doing and he said "I'm making, you know, hearing holes." Hahaha! It took a few minutes before we finally got the word "ears" out of him. Have you ever done that? I think he gets it from me.
Here they are with their creations-in order of who finished first (no surprises there).


(note that this one has "hearing holes" too)


And here they are, all lit up and spooky.


We saved the seeds to plant next spring. Maybe next year we'll be carving pumpkins we grew ourselves like we did a couple of years ago. That was so much fun!

Any pumpkin growing tips for us?

No comments: