Saturday, February 26, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal 2/26

The Homeschool Mother's Journal


In my life this week...

Wow! It seems like this week flew by! We've been on a more regular schedule this week and it has been nice.
On Wednesday afternoon, I had a doctor's appointment. Daniel took the day off to watch the kids, so I had most of the afternoon to myself. I love being home with my kids, but a break once in a while is nice too.

In our homeschool this week...
We pretty much got all of our schoolwork done every day this week! That's quiet an accomplishment for us! I'm really hoping that it carries over into next week as well.
Cheyenne is just about to finish her first math book and she's excited. We'll finish it up next week and then start the next book the week after.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...
We took the kids on a hike on the ranch on Tuesday. It was fun! Cheyenne found an old tortoise shell and Sierra found lots of interesting rocks to bring home. After all the cold weather and being stuck inside, it was so nice to get out and explore. It's so nice to live in a place where we'll be able to do that often.

My favorite thing this week was...
Landon had a worksheet this week with the words "on" and "in" where he had to match the word to the picture. I had it sitting on the desk next to me while I checked my e-mail. He walked up next to me and started sounding out the words. Then he pointed at the pictures and said "on, in, in, on. Okay I don't have to do that now because I just did it by myself." I was so proud of him! I am so thankful to be home with him so I can be the one who's there when he learns to read!

What's working/not working for us...
I've gone back to giving the older girls a list with all their assignments and having them complete what they can individually. They work on that while I work with Landon and Sierra. Then, later in the afternoon, I sit down with them and just review what they worked on and do Spelling Power and a read aloud together. Then, Dakota goes back to what she was doing and Cheyenne and I work on math and reading. We seem to get so much more done that way.
What's hard for me when we do it this way though is keeping up with looking over their work/grading papers. I'm still working on a better system for those things.

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...
I'm starting to think about next year. I'm planning on doing some things differently and using some different curriculum. I'm wondering how some unit studies would work for us. I feel like we're really strong in reading and math-more so reading than math-but not so much in Science and Social Studies. The kids all do Tae Kwon Do at least twice a week, but that's the only PE we have right now, so I'd like to add more of that as well.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...
This picture is from our hike on Tuesday. We had so much fun!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Loved the update! I came via The Homeschool Mother's Journal. I can't believe how many of us are former teachers!
http://homeschoolfortwo.com/homeschool/

RachelT said...

Hi! I am stopping by from the THMJournal. I am also a former music teacher and I still direct choirs at our church. I just love the beautiful pictures of your family! This is our 5th year of homeschooling and we have always used My Father's World unit studies. It is a big help to me and a lot of fun! Have a great week!

RachelT said...

When I commented, I did not even realize that you are using MFW already! Yay! We definitely have that in common. Feel free to ask questions any time!