Saturday, February 5, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal

I found a new link-up this week that I am really excited to participate in. It's from The Homeschool Chick and it's called the Homeschool Mother's Journal. Each week, you just answer 6 little questions and link up. Pretty easy! I can't wait to read about some other homeschool families. I'm still new at this and I know there is a lot I can learn from the experiences of others.
So, here we go!
The Homeschool Mother's Journal
In my life this week...
We have been snowed in since Tuesday this week. I didn't even step foot outside the door of my house until this afternoon. The kids went outside and played in the snow on Wednesday, but it was so cold that they could only stay out a few minutes. They said the snow wasn't good for snowballs or snowmen anyway, so it wasn't much fun. They haven't even asked to go out since then.
All this snow also means that Daniel hasn't been able to go to work this week. We are praying that the roads clear enough that he can get to work by Monday at the latest.

In our homeschool this week...
We actually got a lot of work done this week. We took Wednesday off because it was Sierra's birthday, but we made up for it by doing 1 1/2 days each on Monday and Tuesday, plus a little work on Saturday.
Landon is working on the letter 0 this week. I'm so impressed with how well he is picking up the sounds and even beginning to sound out words!
Sierra finished up the creation story in her reader and worked on the stories of Adam and Eve and Cain and Abel. She's doing really well with sounding out the words and learning the sight words. The biggest thing that I'm working on with her is building her confidence. She looks at me after nearly every word to make sure she got it right. I think it will come with time.
Dakota and Cheyenne are learning about Norway this week. We began the Geography Game for Europe and found out that all three of us have some work to do learning those countries! Even Dakota, the geography whiz, missed a couple of them.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...
We haven't been able to go anywhere or see anyone this week. We are crossing our fingers that the roads will be safe enough for us to make it into town for church and tae kwon do in the morning.

My favorite thing this week was...
My kids handled this week really well. There was surprisingly little arguing and almost no complaining of being bored. Other than schoolwork, I had to do little to keep them entertained. Being home this year has helped them learn how to find themselves something to do rather than always having to have me finding things to keep them busy.

What's working/not working for us...
I really love Landon and Sierra's curriculum. I am not, however, in love with the older girls' curriculum. I think next year, I will switch it up a bit and not necessarily use a "box" curriculum. I am learning lots about other things that are available and I think I will give some a try.

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...
Since all of the homeschool families I know are "online friends", I have tons of questions! I'd love to spend some time with an experienced homeschool family and see what their day is like. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing everything wrong or not doing enough. I'd love to sit down with an experienced mom and learn about her daily schedule.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...
I can't believe my baby girl turned 7 this week! It doesn't seem possible!

That was fun! Can't wait to head over and see what everyone else has been up to this week!

1 comment:

Erudition said...

If you are looking for an entertaining way to introduce sight words, please visit us at www.sightwordsgame.com.

We currently offer two products - a sight words board game and an activity and coloring book.