Tuesday, July 14, 2009

4th of July celebration

I'm a little late posting this, but my computer has once again decided that it doesn't like to load pictures, so it's taken me longer than I had hoped. So much for getting everything caught up this week. Oh, well.

We had a fun time on the 4th of July this year. We got to see two fireworks shows! First, we drove up to bricktown on Friday night and watched the fireworks there. We had to walk quite a way to get there, but it was fun. Next year, we may get there a little earlier and spend some time checking out the sights (and the food) in Bricktown. Mark your calendars and join us! :)

When we woke up on Saturday morning, it was raining like crazy! I was really happy that we had gotten to watch fireworks the night before because it sure looked like we were going to be out of luck on Saturday. Daniel and I began to scramble to find other fun things to do just in case. I made a Wal-Mart run and got some crafty things to do and I hit the Redbox for a movie.

The kids and I made some yummy white pretzels complete with red and blue sprinkles. (I forgot to take pictures of those). Then, we made some red, white, and blue popsicles (pictures to come in the next post) and some red and blue kool-aid icecubes (these look really cool in a glass of sprite-and they taste pretty good too). Daniel made some strawberry ice cream-yum!

The kids also made some visors and necklaces to wear. I thought they turned out pretty cute!

The rain finally cleared off in the afternoon, so we started getting ready for the fireworks show. For dinner, we had built a big fire in the backyard and let the kids cook their own hotdogs. I was thankful that it had rained and wasn't quite so hot. I was a little disappointed when we ran out of time for s'mores, but I still have everything ready for another day (when it's not 109 degrees outside).

Then, we piled into the van and headed for the lake. We got there, got a great parking spot, and were just getting settled when the announcer came over the speakers telling everyone that a big thunderstorm was on it's way and to take cover. He said that they WOULD continue the fireworks show after the rain. So, we hopped back in the van to wait it out.

The fireworks didn't get started until 10:30, but it was an amazing show and well worth the wait!
Of course, you can't have a 4th of July celebration without WATERMELON (at our house anyway). So as soon as we got home, Daniel and the kids sliced it up!

The best part of the weekend (for me anyway) was that the kids were had so much fun Friday and Saturday night, they ALL slept until at least 8:15 on Sunday morning! We need to have that much fun a lot more often!

No comments: