Friday, March 18, 2011

Fishing with the kids!

So, after being gone for six days, Daniel got to come home Thursday night. This was his second trip to Texas in the last month and it was supposed to last three weeks. I was so happy that he got to come home early. I didn't tell the kids that he was coming home early. I let them stay up watching a movie and playing on the computer so he could surprise them. They were pretty excited to see him too!

Daniel decided that he would rather have the weekend off, so he went ahead and went in to work Friday morning. When he got there, he was told that he would probably be heading back to Texas on Saturday to help with the rig move. He told his boss, "If I'm going back to Texas tomorrow, I'm going home today." His boss talked to the big boss and his response was "Well, you'd better go on back home then because we leave for Texas at 2:00pm (today)." So, I got a phone call around 8:30 Friday morning to get everyone up and dressed because we were going to go to town for supplies and then we were all going fishing. Music to my ears! I've been wanting us all to go fishing together for weeks!

Once everyone was up, fed, and dressed, we headed into town to get bobbers (does anyone else call them that? My dad and I always called them corks, but my husband calls them bobbers, so I've picked it up too), weights, new line, etc. While we were shopping, we met a super nice guy who was stocking the fishing supplies at Wal-Mart. He talked to the kids and gave them stickers. It was fun! From there, we went to the bait shop to pick up some minnows (the same bait shop my dad used to take me to when I was little).

When we got to the pond, I wasn't sure we'd have much luck. It was pretty windy and a little overcast. But we went ahead anyway. Boy, was I wrong! Cheyenne ended up catching 2 pretty nice ones, Landon, Sierra, and Dakota each caught one. Not bragging or anything (ha!) but I caught the most-3. I had so much fun and was sad when the alarm went off for us to pack up and head home.

Daniel pulled out of our house around 1:30 Friday afternoon and left the yard at work around 3:00. They made it safely to their motel in Texas around 8:00 Friday evening. Good news! As of this morning, he's only supposed to be gone for 3 days. I hope that's true. Being a "single mom" is much easier now that the kids are older, but I still don't want to do it all the time.

Here are the kids with their fish:
Cheyenne caught the first one. She was pretty proud of herself. (please ignore me in the background. I knew we were going fishing, so I put off my shower until the afternoon)

Sierra was next to catch one. She did it completely by herself! Not a bad looking fish for a little girl. She thought it was huge!

Landon was disappointed at first because his was small, but Daniel told him it was a sunfish and he fell in love. He is still talking about his "sunshine" fish.

We saved the best for last! Dakota finally caught her fish just before we were ready to leave.

We had such a fun day! I'm sad that Daniel had to leave so soon, but at least we got to spend some fun time together while he was here.

No comments: