Monday, March 15, 2010

Dishes make me an angry person!

There are several household chores that I don't really care for. Folding laundry-especially socks, making beds that are just going to get messed up again at the end of the day, and dusting all top the list. But there is one thing that I HATE more than all of those combined-washing dishes!

I despise it.

Our dishwasher has been broken for a while now. We could call the landlord and he might (or might not) come and fix it, but we haven't bothered. Some things are just not worth the trouble. So, I'm stuck hand washing everything.

I don't know what it is about washing dishes, but it brings out the worst in me. It makes me angry. Even when we had a dishwasher that worked, loading it would put me in a bad mood.

I think part of the problem is that it's too quiet when I'm doing dishes and I have too much time to think. Weird, huh? Plus, washing dishes is one of those things that never ends. Just as I finish rinsing the last plate, someone needs are drink or a snack and -tada-more dishes. I've tried looking at the bright side-we have food in our house, which is so much more than lots of other people have. We even have enough that we can be picky about what we want to eat. And I am thankful. But somehow, those dishes still get to me.

Well, I've found a solution that seems to help me, a lot. MUSIC. If I turn on music in the background, I can let my mind get lost in it and before I know it the dishes are done and I'm okay.

So, for my birthday this year, I asked for a CD player for my kitchen. It sits on the bar and is tuned to my favorite Christian music station. It's awesome!

I still don't love doing dishes, but I hate them much less these days.

What is your least favorite chore around the house? How do you make it more enjoyable?

1 comment:

Thosetwogirls said...

Dishes and laundry are my two biggest enemies! I completely understand! In fact DH takes care of the dishes here. I still do the laundry but I have been known to procrastinate on folding it and if you walk into my room right now their is a mountain of clean laundry waiting for me!