Sunday, June 13, 2010

Our not-so-exciting weekend...

This summer is flying by! I can't believe we're already to the middle of June! I've really been slacking on posting, although I have a mile long list of ideas. I really thought that having the girls home from school would free up some time for blogging, but it's been just the opposite. I usually write my posts at night after the kids go to bed. Lately, though, we've been so busy during the day that there's just not enough energy left to do any writing at night.

Dakota and Cheyenne got home yesterday afternoon from their vacation to OKC with Grandma Debbie. They had a great time visiting the science museum, Chuck E Cheese, White Water, and hanging out at the hotel. They each came home with a new Pokemon video game that has kept them pretty busy.

We have set an official moving out date-our lease runs out on this date, so that kind of helped us decide. Ha! Our last official day in this house is June 30. To answer the top two questions about the move-1)NO, we haven't found a new place yet. 2)NO, Daniel has not found a full-time job yet. We have no doubt that both of these needs are going to be taken care of, we just aren't sure of the timing. Because we are 100% sure that this is the plan God has for us, we are doing our very best not to worry about it (I'm planning a whole other post on this later). Does that mean that we are sitting around doing nothing and hoping that a house and a job will fall into our laps? Absolutely not. But it does mean that we are not losing and sleep over the fact that we haven't found it yet. Anyway, I'll save that rant for the other post...

Last week, I finally marked our moving date on the calendar. Next to each date, I wrote the number of days left before moving day. We are now at 17. YES 17! We have to get all of this stuff packed up, cleaned up, and loaded up in only 17 days. That gives me just over 1 day per room. Granted, the kids' bathroom (that they never use) and the dining room probably won't take more than an hour or so each. But the other rooms? Well, they are going to take a little longer than that. So, we have devised a plan to get it all done in an orderly fashion. If you know us, you can stop laughing now, it can be done! (just forget about the other 7 times we have moved, this time is different). We have decided to start at one end of the house and pack a room at a time. Brilliant, I know.

Sierra and I started on Landon's room on Friday. We took everything out of his toy box and his tubs. We sorted and threw away for about an hour. I put the lid on his toy box and put his tubs of toys in the top of the closet where he can't reach them (is that mean?) Yesteday, I took the giant box of "baby" toys that we sorted out of there, plus some ride on toys he has outgrown and dropped them off at Goodwill along with two big bags of clothes that we no longer need. This morning, I finished packing the rest of his toys that wouldn't fit into his toy box, took everything off his wall, went through the clothes in his closet and dresser again, and finished getting the things from under his bed. All that's really left in there is his bed and dresser and the clothes in his closet. It should be really easy on moving day to take those things out, vacuum, and call it good. (I would show you a picture, but he's napping in there right now.)

Next, we're going to do Dakota's room. This promises to be a bigger challenge because she does not like to get rid of ANYTHING! I spent about 15 minutes in there this morning packing up some stuffed animals and only managed to convince her to get rid of 2. She can tell you exactly where, when, and why she got all the rest of them. She's much better at getting rid of clothes she doesn't want, so I think we'll start with that when I go back in there this afternoon.

While I was working on that, Daniel was busy clearing out a corner in the den to pile all of the boxes into. Our goal is to have everything packed and moved into the room by the 29th so we can spend as little time as possible on the 30th putting it into the truck and finishing the cleaning.
Here's what we've done so far.
That yellow tub on the top is Landon's toys. The gray tubs on the floor are clothes that are waiting for Sierra to grow into them. At one time, I had clothes all the way from newborn to girls 16. I am very thankful for hand-me-downs that other people gave us. My girls had some really cute clothes! It was overwhelming for a while though. I didn't have anywhere to store them and I didn't really have time to go through them. Daniel and I spent a lot of time during Christmas Break this year sorting them and I used lots of my Christmas money to purchase tubs, so it's a lot better now. It also has helped that Sierra is the last girl in the family. Once she outgrows the clothes, I pass them on to Goodwill and out of my house! Right now, I only have sizes 5-16.

Our weekend hasn't been very exciting, but it has been very productive. I hope we can keep up this pace for the next couple of weeks. It sure would make moving day a lot less stressful.

Hope everyone else has had a good weekend as well.

No comments: