Friday, April 22, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal

.In my life this week…

This has been a pretty calm and peaceful week. We've actually been at home most of the week. I like it that way.

Daniel went for orientation at his new job yesterday. Today he's riding along with someone. I think this job is going to make things so much better for us! I'm excited.

In our homeschool this week…

We're chugging right along. Dakota and Cheyenne are almost finished with their English books and Cheyenne is about to finish up math. Hooray!

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

We leave for Florida in less than a month! Four weeks from today! I know the kids are getting really excited. I'm just ready for it to be here already. We're going to have lots of fun, but the preparing and waiting are stressful. There are so many things that I want to buy or do that have to wait until after the trip. Oh well, it'll all work out in the end.

My favorite thing this week was…

Landon is reading!!!!!! The last few weeks, he's had little readers at the end of the week and he's been able to read them! They're mostly sight words and CVC words, "Kim had a hat", but he's doing it. I remember looking at those when we first got the curriculum and thinking there was no way he would be ready for them by the end of kindergarten. In fact, I was planning on having him go through the K curriculum twice but he doesn't need it. I'm so proud of him!

What’s working/not working for us…

I'm frustrated with our current curriculum. I really want something more hands-on-more projects, art activities, creative writing. I'm arguing with myself over just finishing up English and Math and calling it good or sticking it out and finishing up the geography and science too.

I've been trying to decide whether to stick with this curriculum (MFW) for next year or switch to something else. The Weaver curriculum from A&O sounds good to me, but I can't find anyone who's actually used it or any sample pages to look at. Someone suggested that I e-mail the company and ask them for a sample. I think I will try that.

If anyone has used it, please let me know your experience. I'd love to have some advice.

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…

I need a good Algebra curriculum for next year. Not sure I can afford Teaching Textbooks, even though I've heard good things about it. She and I both HATE Saxon! I just went with it because it was a name I knew. Not going to work for her next year.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…


No comments: